Friday, February 20, 2009

Swan....









this little guy is the only swan at our local park. I am not sure why they don't give him a mate....or companion...or some of his own kind to keep him company. Maybe swans do better alone? I will have to do some researching on this I guess. I do know they usually mate for life....so maybe he originally had a mate but it was killed. AND this may be a female...I am not sure. I have never seen 2 swans at this park though...always only this one.

I have NEVER seen him get out of the water or eat anything other than what he finds in the water till the other day when we stopped at the park. He not only got out of the water but came over to see if we had anything to give him. The only thing I had to give him was a potato wedge from my son's chicken dinner. The swan gobbled it up like crazy...so I gave him another one. Must be slim pickins right now in the pond. I think he would have climbed into the car with us if he could have!

5 comments:

Patty said...

You'll have to find out what they like and take some along the next time. It's a pretty swan.

Jack and Joann said...

I love swans. They have such very pretty long curvy necks. And they sure dress a body of water. When Jack and I got married way back in '74 I opted to have two little swans on our wedding cake instead of a bride and groom. I knew the story that swans mate for life and thought that it would be good luck for Jack and I.

Anonymous said...

Lovely bird. Yeah, now you have me interested in his/her story. Please give us an update. ;-)

Paz

Melinda said...

OH this swan has been out at this park for as long as I can remember Paz....she/he is still there.....with all the other ducks and geese....yet all by itself as a swan

Tomate Farcie said...

I know what you mean. There was a park near where I used to live when I was growing up and we'd go feed the ducks some bread crumbs once in a while. There were tons of ducks, but only a coule of swans in the whole place. The swans never came out for bread crumbs, but once in a while (in the Winter, I think) they did. Always scared me quite a bit, too!